Best Short Film
Heartland Film is a nonprofit arts organization founded in 1991 with the mission to inspire filmmakers and audiences through the transformative power of film. Since the inaugural Heartland International Film Festival (HIFF) in 1992, the fest has grown from a 5-day event with less than 20 films to an 11-day celebration featuring more than 213 independent films, 215 visiting filmmakers and 300 film screenings. HIFF has built a reputation on its impactful movies, the connections audiences make with visiting filmmakers, the overall hospitality and intimacy of the experience, and bringing big Hollywood names – like Robert Downey Jr., Jessica Biel, Rob Reiner, and Oscar® winner Geoffrey Rush – to the Hoosier state.
Top Five Reasons to Submit to the Heartland Film Festival
1. Cash prizes, ranging from $500 - $25,000 per prize.
2. Academy Award-qualifying festival in the Short Films category.*
3. One of MovieMaker Magazine’s Top 50 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee in 2017.
4. Artistic integrity: transparent selection process offering screener feedback by request after the Festival.
5. Regarded for our Hoosier hospitality with a strong community between filmmakers, moviegoers, and volunteers.
The 27th annual Heartland International Film Festival will take place in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, October 11-21, 2018. Filmmakers participating in the Festival attend numerous screenings of their films and other special events designed to allow interaction between filmmakers and audiences. Filmmakers from around the world are invited to submit films; student filmmakers are welcomed in each category as well. The Heartland Film Festival selects and honors films in several categories: