Google Geocoding API error: The request was denied.
The Aesthetica Short Film Festival is a BAFTA qualifying international film festival based in York, UK. ASFF is an important outlet for moving image and digital culture, creating a platform to champion film internationally. The festival holds talent development at its core and leaves a lasting legacy by inspiring innovation in film. Its eighth edition ran over a five day period, providing opportunities for talent development, networking and inspirational film viewing.
The 2019 festival will mark our 9th year of film screenings, masterclasses and guest programmes. As the festival grows and develops, we strive to bring more of the best cinema to audiences in York, accepting short, feature and VR works from the most innovative filmmakers from around the world.
ASFF is an important hub for industry professionals, offering the a meeting place that encourages collaboration and that promotes industry learning and development through masterclasses and networking. 2018 guests included Filmmaker Mark Cousins, Actor/Director Alice Lowe, Editor Mick Audsley, as well as representatives from Film4, StudioCanal, BFI Network, Spring Films, HOME, Industrial Light and Magic, Framestore, Pinewood Studios, Aardman Animation, British Vogue and BBC Writers Room, to name just a few.
- Best Advertising Film
- Best Animation Film
- Best Artists' Film
- Best Comedy Film
- Best Dance Film
- Best Documentary Film
- Best Drama Film
- Best Experimental Film
- Best Music Video
- Best Thriller Film
- York Youth Award
- Peoples Choice Award
- Best of Fest (£1000 prize)
- Best Narrative Feature Film
- Best Documentary Feature Film
- Best VR & Immersive Project
Supporting and Championing Short Film
We are looking for filmmakers who are driving film forward through inspirational and innovative works. Whether you are an established or emerging practitioner, we want to hear from you.
We accept submissions of short films across 11 genres : Advertising, Animation, Artists’ Film, Comedy, Dance, Documentary, Drama, Experimental, Fashion, Music Video and Thriller.
For the second year, we are also accepting feature film submissions. Feature films are considered to be 60 minutes or over. Entries are open to both narrative and documentary films.
Entires are also open to 360 film, VR and Immersive experiences.
The Official Selection of films will be shown in 18 venues across York, UK from 6 to 10 November 2018. There will prizes for Best Film in each category as well as Best of Fest,, The Northern Film School Award for Best Screenplay, the People’s Choice Award and the York Youth Award. This is an excellent opportunity to showcase your work to an international audience of filmmakers, industry delegates and film fans.
- Entries open 1 December 2018
- The deadline for submissions is 31 May 2019
- The Official Selection will be announced in September 2019
- ASFF 2019 takes place in the City of York, UK from 6-10 November 2019
- Winners will be announced at the ASFF Awards Ceremony on Sunday 10 November 2019
- Festival screenings at ASFF 2019.
- Awards for Best of Fest Winner (£1,000), People's Choice, York Youth Award and Best Film in each category.
- Festival screenings in various guest programmes at other film festivals and events.
- Editorial in Aesthetica Magazine and on Aesthetica's online channels.
- Short films should have a maximum running time of 30 minutes.
- Feature films are considered to have a runtime of 60 minutes or over.
- All films must be English language, dubbed into English or subtitled in English.
- Your entry form must include your name, address, telephone number and email so that we can contact you.
- Your film must not be in breach of any copyright, including music or sound used in your film.
- The link to your video included in your submission form must not expire.
- We will accept submissions of films that have previously screened elsewhere, including at other festivals.
Should your film be selected for screening at ASFF 2019, there are specific technical requirements the screening copy of your film must meet. http://www.asff.co.uk/submit/requirements/