OUR PRIDE Video Fest is an LGBTQ+ Video Competition for youth and young adults with Official Partner: Outfest UCLA Legacy Project.
Winning entries receive cash prizes, gifts, awards & commendations. And selected entries will be entered into the permanent Outfest UCLA Legacy Project Collection.
OUR PRIDE is a video competition for young people to create and share digital stories about significant LGBTQ+ people, places and events through video and social media.
Participants work in teams or solo to create video entries running 1 to 5 minutes in a variety of genres, such as NEWS STORIES, SHORT DOCUMENTARIES, CREATIVE FICTION, MUSIC VIDEOS, ANIMATED SHORTS or PSAs, and incorporating original music, poetry and other creative content.
* OUR TRIBE: Educators, parents, politicians, authors, artists, musicians, sports figures, and other leaders in the community.
* OUR COMMUNITY: Civic groups, businesses, advocacy organizations, diverse populations, and ethnic groups.
* OUR HISTORY: Historic events, landmarks, people, and the lives of everyday elders who share their life stories and experiences.
* OUR ARTS: Music, theater, dance, sculpture, painting, poetry, festivals and other artistic expression of the community.
* OUR ISSUES: Social issues, including human rights, homophobia, homelessness, mental health, bullying, suicide, and more.
* OUR SPIRIT: Compassion, empathy, spiritual acceptance, and religious tolerance.
OUR PRIDE Video Fest is a collaborative blended-learning educational event for students to create and share digital stories about significant LGBTQ people, places and events through video and social media, working in teams or solo, together with mentors, parents and educators.
● TWO CATEGORIES:
YOUTH (Middle/High School)
YOUNG ADULT (College:18 - 30 years)
● Entries can be submitted by a team of students or a solo student
● Videos must be 5 minutes or less
● Supports standards-based, authentic learning, film-making & digital storytelling
● Employs career transferable skills (research, teamwork & collaboration, project management, time-management, digital literacy, entrepreneurship)
* CURRENT EVENTS . HISTORY . GLOBAL ISSUES
OUR PRIDE presents significant issues facing LGBTQ+ people and challenges them to produce video projects which highlight issues and solutions. The goal is to explore the lives and events which have shaped our world and are impacting our collective future. Participants connect locally and around the world, as they gain a heightened awareness of the sometimes dramatically different LGBTQ+ social and cultural environments.
* EDUCATION: FAIR . ACCURATE . INCLUSIVE . RESPECTFUL
OUR PRIDE Video Fest is designed to align with social studies standards and to meet mandates of inclusive education initiatives, including California's SB 48 FAIR (Fair, Accurate, Inclusive, and Respectful) Education Act and other states' legislation which require public school history courses to be non-discriminatory and to integrate factual information about social movements, current events, and history of LGBTQ+ people into social science instruction.
* NEW SKILLS . INTERGENERATIONAL . PERSONAL GROWTH
Through research, collaboration and production, the program creates a new awareness and understanding of history, culture and issues, while directly connecting youth with mentors and elders in a cross-generation learning and personal growth experience.
Winners receive cash prizes, gifts, awards & commendations, and passes to screen their film at San Diego Comic-Con. Selected entries will be entered into the permanent Outfest UCLA Legacy Project Collection.