A heavyweight in the world of film festivals...and, quite possibly, the hardest working!!!
Here's what they do throughout the year...
Flickers' Sidebar Festivals & Screenings of Note:
• Rhode Island International Film Festival - August
• Children's Hospitals International Film Festival - April
• Ciné Québec - March and November yearly
• New England University French Discovery Program
• LGBT Expo Film Showcase - September
• Francophonie Film Festival - March yearly
• Roving Eye International Film Festival
• Providence LGBTQ Film Festival
• KidsEye International Film Festival
• Second Stage Theatre
• Jewish Experience Film Series - Spring and Fall yearly
• Islamic Experience Film Series - Spring and Fall yearly
• RIIFF Encore Film Series - Monthly
• Vortex Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Horror Film Festival - October
• Flickers Irish Film Feis - November yearly
• Le jour le plus court: The Shortest Day of the Year - December yearly
Grand Prize, Short Film
Now in its 25th year, the FLICKERS' RHODE ISLAND INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL celebrates the independent spirit in film and has become a haven for independent filmmakers from throughout the world. In 2020, the Festival presented 265 films representing works that were shot and produced in 51 countries. There were 83 World Premieres and US/North American Premieres. Reacting to COVID-19, the event became a hybrid event with an online portal, free and on-demand screenings, geoblocking where requested and screenings at regional Drive-ins.
Our most notable prizes are the selection of Best Short Film Live Action (Grand Prize), Best Documentary Short (Grand Prize), and Best Animated Short (Grand Prize) that in turn are eligible for nomination by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Seventy One (71) films that were either premiered or discovered at RIIFF have gone on to receive Oscar ® nominations. From this pool, eleven (11) have gone on to win the coveted award.
In 2020, Five (5) films from the 2019 Festival were nominated for Academy Awards® bringing the total nominations from the Festival to 71. RIIFF is also an official qualifying event for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards, and two shorts from RIIFF 2017 received BAFTA nominations.